My-Chevy-Venture.com

Chevy Venture Community
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Logging" Scanner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

I have been looking for a scanner that has "logging" capabilities.

I would like to be able to connect it to the van and record different sensor readings over a period of time and then be able to look at that data on a PC.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendations of what type of scanner I should be looking into?

Thanks for any advice.

Take Care,

Post subject: I got one
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Folks,

I just thought I would let you know that I finally picked up a little tool that lets me read codes and capture "real time" data coming from the van. It is called the "BR-3 OBDII Interface." You can find all the details here.

I picked this one because it understands multiple protocols (VPW. PWM, ISO 9141 and ISO 14230). These are the most popular protocols used by GM, FORD, Chrysler, & many Asian car makers. It does NOT understand the CAN protocol.

I also picked this one because the software allows logging of data in real time.

One note: This is NOT a stand-alone scanner. It requires a computer to run the software.

For my purposes, this should work just fine. As I "play" with it, I will post my observations.

Take Care,

Post subject: OBD Scanner
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:33 pm 

I have the priviledge of recieving Harbor Freight catalogs in the mail. In this last catalog they advertised three different scanner tools at three different prices. I think the cheapest one they were selling was about 39.00 and the most expensive was about 79.00 but they were all n sale as of this post. Later~

Supports all OBD II protocols in vehicles built since 1996, including the newly released Controller Area Network (CAN).
Reads and clears generic and manufacturer specific diagnostic trouble codes (DTC)
Supports multiple trouble code requests
Resets 'check engine light'
Reviews the emission readiness status of OBD monitors
Retrieves VIN number
Free CD software with over 7000 diagnostic trouble codes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:00 pm 

Greg

I am interested to know if had satisfactory experience with the tool you tried. I'm looking to buy something along these lines myself.

I myself have experience with a borrowed B&B Electronics Autotap. This tool has been around for over 5 years and has undergone several upgrades and improvements. It's much improved, but still suffers from a clunky Windows interface and a sometimes iffy connection to the car. You can check their web site if you're intested - autotap.com. My major problem with it is cost. It's not astronomic but still difficult to justify for my needs.

The basic tool costs $200 dollars and has the ability to check and clear trouble codes plus reading, logging and graphing a few basic sensors.

The real fun starts with the addition of an additional $100 license that unlocks the ability to access nearly every sensor applicable to your specific vehicle. For my 98 venture that's a total of over 200 sensors.

I've messed around with it a little and have learned a lot about how the engine a transmission behave under various operating conditions.

Regards

Zardoz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:31 pm 
Site Admin

zardoz wrote:
I am interested to know if had satisfactory experience with the tool you tried. I'm looking to buy something along these lines myself.
Hi Zardoz.

You can click on the link I provided above to check out the software, both windows and DOS.

I like the toy (tool), but I would like to be able to access more of the sensors. I basically gets everything shown in the screen shots on the web page, but it does NOT show the freeze frame data for my van. It does gather the real-time information for the O2 sensors, fuel trim, etc.

But I sure would like to be able to get all the sensor info. If I was a better programmer, and had time to play around with it to find all the addresses of the sensors, I could probably do it. But I have become lazy, or maybe just view my time as more valuable then to spend all that time trying to do the research and writing my own program for it.

I don't think it gets transmission information either.

I hope this helps.

Take Care,

Post subject: my own diagnostic search
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:28 pm 

ALCON;
thanks for this thread...trying to figure out what diagnostic to get for myself...wasn't thinking realtime data until you guys mentioned it. I will keep you posted on what I decide and find.

hd&dc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 4:36 pm 

did I can delete errors in help of the tool?!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:19 am 

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I'll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.hi it is my first post on this blog and in the begining I would like to thank for the great information, which I found in this and all previous posts , it really helped me very much.