My-Chevy-Venture.com

Chevy Venture Community
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Just an update on the latest issue with the wife's Jeep.
Latest drama is a nasty coolant leak, leaving the wife stuck on the side of the road.
Went out to rescue her and completed the errand trips she started earlier in the day.
On one of those stops (at dentist office) I noticed a "rust colored" and somewhat dried up "leak spot" in the parking lot - right where the Jeep had been parked for a short time. That was a foreshadowing of things to be discovered later.

Once returning to the Jeep - which was now cooled off enough to open the radiator cap - I found some rust color "gooey stuff" around the radiator cap, and I added about 3 quarters of a gallon of coolant & distilled water. Shortly after that came DRIPPING of coolant - from the rear of the engine area. That was without even trying to start the engine, leading me to believe that there was a HOLE somewhere back there.

So the next step was to have it towed to the local mechanics shop to have it checked out. Once on the tow truck (flat bed) further leaking occurred as the Jeep was winched up on the bed. This further confirmed that there was a HOLE somewhere - towards the back of the motor.

To make a long story short, once the mechanic got a mirror and light behind the engine, one of the freeze plugs was found to be leaking (badly). So we're looking at the pain (cost) of having that fixed, along with any other items associated with the fix (engine flush, hose replacements, other leaks, etc.).

I will try to update on what happens.
Take Care, Greg A.